Last Updated on July 5, 2022 by Victor Queiroz
Portugal is known as the place to invest in. Why is that? Well, by investing in this top-notch country you’ll be able to reside in Portugal and get your European Passport.
But are investment returns financially worth it? Well, that depends on your priorities.
Over the last couple of years, investment requirements to be eligible for the Golden Visa have been changing and getting stricter. Is the Golden Visa for you? Is it worth it?
In this article, we have the answers to these questions. Before we proceed, make sure you understand the basics related to the Portuguese Golden Visa by reading our article: Complete Guide to Golden Visa in Portugal.
Let’s get started!
Requirements to apply for the Golden Visa in 2021
In 2021 you could apply for the Portuguese Golden Visa by complying with one of many requirements, some of which were:
- Acquiring a property in Portugal worth over €500,000
- Acquiring a property in Portugal over 30 years old or located in urban rehabilitation areas, worth over 350,000€
- Acquiring a property in Portugal over 30 years old or located in urban rehabilitation areas, with a low population rate, worth over 280,000€
- Capital transfer of at least1 million euros to a Portuguese bank account
- Creating at least 10 jobs in Portugal
- Creating a company and transferring 350,000€ in addition to creating 5 jobs
- Transferring at least €350,000 to investment or equity funds
- Investing at least €350,000 in small and medium-sized Portuguese companies
Requirement changes for 2022
In 2022, some changes have been implemented regarding the requirements to apply for the Portuguese Golden Visa.
Here are the most relevant changes:
Real Estate Investment rules
Acquiring a property in areas that comprise Lisbon, Porto, and the Algarve is no longer an option to apply for the Golden Visa.
The Portuguese government aims to develop smaller cities via this program while reducing side-effects from investment in big cities (such as rising property prices in these regions), so Lisbon, Porto, and Algarve have been excluded from the Golden Visa program.
The same rules from 2021 still apply when it comes to properties located in the remaining cities, such as:
- Acquiring a property worth over €500,000;
- Acquiring a property over 30 years old or located in urban rehabilitation areas, worth over €350,000;
- Acquiring a property over 30 years old or located in urban rehabilitation areas with a low population rate, worth over €280,000.
Quick tip: Construction expenses (for properties in need of refurbishment) also comprise the Golden Visa price target.
Applying for the Golden Visa by transferring capital to Portugal is still an option, but the minimum investment changed from €1,000,000 to €1,500,000.
This is certainly the most straightforward Golden Visa investment scenario, as this process is restricted to a bank transfer, on the other hand, the investment capital amount is the highest among the other processes.
Incorporating a company, investing and creating 5 jobs
In this case, we’re talking about transferring at least €350,000 to incorporate a company or invest in an existing company, along with creating or maintaining at least 5 jobs in each case, for a minimum period of three years.
According to the new rules, the new capital investment is €500,000, in addition to creating 5 jobs.
Investing in Research Activities
In 2022, a minimum investment of €500,000 (as opposed to the previous requirement of €350,00) is required for research activities carried out by public or private research institutions, integrated into the national scientific and technological system.
Golden Visa Requirements
In sum, the changes effective as of 2022 are:
- Real Estate investment areas no longer include Lisbon, Porto, and Algarve
- Capital investments went from €350,000 to €500,000;
- Capital transfer went from €1,000,000 to €1,500,000.
The remaining investment requirements have not changed, including incorporating a company and creating 10 jobs in Portugal.
How to apply for the Golden Visa?
The Golden Visa application is mostly processed online, through the website Portal ARI.
Before applying for the visa, you need to comply with the visa requirements, which may include acquiring a property, making an investment, etc.
We highly recommend you consult a lawyer prior to and during the entire process. A bad move can turn into a huge waste of time and money.
After investing and gathering the required documents for application, you need to register at SEF’s ARI system.
Is investing in the Portuguese Golden Visa still worth it?
It depends on your profile and preferences. Getting a Golden Visa in 2022 is still worth it!
If you plan to actually reside in Portugal for the next couple of years, you could also consider applying for a Portuguese Residency Visa at a much lower cost.
If living in Portugal for more than 6 months per year is not an option, the Golden Visa is probably your best bet.
Whatever the case may be, you can always reach out to Viv Europe’s expert consultants and lawyers to assist you with relocating to extraordinary Portugal. We are here to help!