Last Updated on May 4, 2022 by Letícia Melo
Portugal is known as a country to invest in, and why is that? That’s because through investment you will be able to live in this top-notch place and also get your European Passport in time.
But financially, are the investment returns worth the decision? Well, that depends on your priorities.
Each year the investing requirements to be eligible for the Golden Visa have been changing and getting stricter.
So, should you decide to start the process of the Golden Visa in 2022? Are the Golden Visa requirements still advantageous?
In this article, we will answer these (and other) questions.
Before we proceed, make sure that you understand the basics related to the Portuguese Golden Visa by reading our article: Complete Guide to Golden Visa in Portugal.
So, without further ado, just jump straight to the article.
The requirements to apply for the Golden Visa in 2021
In 2021 you can apply for the Portuguese Golden Visa by complying with one of many requirements, some of which are:
- Acquisition of a property in Portugal that worth more than €500,000
- The acquisition of a property in Portugal over 30 years old or located in urban rehabilitation areas, worth more than 350,000€
- Acquisition of a property in Portugal over 30 years old or located in urban rehabilitation areas, with low population rate, worth more than 280,000€
- Capital transfer of, at least, 1 million euros to a Portuguese bank account
- Create at least 10 jobs in Portugal
- Create a company and transferring an amount of 350,000€ along with the creation of 5 jobs
- Transfer of, at least, €350,000 to investment or equity funds
- Invest in small and medium-sized Portuguese companies at an amount of, at least, 350,000€
The changes to the requirements in place in 2022
In 2022 some changes will come into place in relation to the requirements to apply for the Portuguese Golden Visa.
Let’s check what will be the most relevant ones:
Real Estate Investment rules
Acquiring a property in some regions that comprises, for example, Lisbon, Porto, or the Algarve in order to apply for the Golden Visa won’t be an option anymore.
Considering the government’s desire to develop smaller Portuguese cities through this program and to reduce the side-effects from this investment in big cities (such as the increase of the properties’ price in these regions), Portugal decided to exclude Lisbon, Porto, and Algarve from the Golden Visa program.
The same rules from 2021 will still be applicable for properties located in the remaining cities, such as:
- Acquisition of a property worth more than €500,000;
- The acquisition of a property over 30 years old or or located in areas of urban rehabilitation, worth more than €350,000;
- Acquisition of a property over 30 years old or or located in areas of urban rehabilitation with low population rate, worth more than €280,000.
Just a small tip: The construction expenses (for properties in need of refurbishment) also comprise the Golden Visa price target.
Applying for the Golden Visa by transferring capital to Portugal will still be possible, but the minimum investment changed from 1,000,000€ to 1,500,000€.
This is certainly the most straightforward Golden Visa investment scenario, as this process is restricted to a bank transfer, but, on the other hand, the investment capital amount is the highest among the other processes.
Incorporation of a company, investment and create 5 jobs
In this case, we’re talking about the minimum transfer of €350,000 for the incorporation of a company or for investment in an already incorporated company, along with the creation or maintenance of at least 5 jobs in each case, for a minimum period of three years.
According to the new rules, the new capital investment is €500,000, maintaining the 5 jobs creation requirement.
Investment in research activities
With the 2022 changes, a minimum investment of €500,000 (and not €350,000 anymore) will be required for research activities carried out by public or private research institutions, integrated into the national scientific and technological system.
What Golden Visa requirements won’t change
To summarize the changes take will take place in 2022, we can state that:
- The requirements related to the Real Estate investment area has changed;
- Most of the capital investments that have a price tag of €350,000 has changed to €500,000 investment;
- The capital transfer of €1,000,000 has increased to €1,500,000.
All of the remaining investment requirements did not change, that includes the company incorporation and creation of 10 jobs in Portugal.
How to apply for the Golden Visa?
The Golden Visa application is mostly proceeded online, through the website Portal ARI.
Before applying for the visa, you need to comply with the visa requirements, that may include acquiring a property, making an investment, etc.
We highly recommend a lawyer’s assistance during this process. A bad move in this process can turn into a huge loss of time and money.
Considering you made the investment activity and gathered all of the required documents for the application, you need to register yourself at SEF’s ARI system.
Is it still worth investing in the Portuguese Golden Visa?
That depends on your profile and preferences. Getting a Golden Visa in 2022 may still be worth it.
If you plan to actually live in Portugal during the next years, maybe you should consider applying for a Portuguese Residency Visa, as the financial investment can be much lower.
On the other hand, if living in Portugal for more than 6 months/year is not an option, the Golden Visa is probably the best decision for you.
In any case, you can always count on Viv Europe to assist you with your relocation to Portugal.